Sunday, October 17, 2010

What a Weekend!


This weekend in Merida, Mexico was full of live music, and there was enough variety to please everyone.

Thursday

The city held a free concert in the downtown market area Thursday night. I had no idea what to expect, but I figured I should check it out. I didn't know what to expect, but I would have never guessed a Spanish Ska band to be playing.

The highlight of the show was definitely the mini mosh pit. I used to worry about not being able to dance as well as so many of the smooth operators I've seen in Mexico. But after watching a bunch of sweaty, rhythm-less goobers bounce around, I feel great about myself.

Friday

The soon-to-be forgotten duo of LMFAO landed in Merida this weekend and they brought their catalog of enlightening tracks with them. In fact, the posters around town read "I'm in Merida, Bitch." Oh, how clever!

I'm not sorry to say that I missed them squeeze the last remaining seconds out of their fifteen minutes. Even though concert tickets only cost 200 pesos ($16.60), I refused to support the talentless, electro-pop buffoons.* Simple as that.

*Too strong?

Saturday

Some legitimate musicians stopped in Merida this weekend, too. Belanova came to town! I wanted to go, but a $50 ticket price was a bit steep for me. Especially if I was going to be a third-wheel.

My roommate went though, and he said it was a blast. He scored seventh row seats and took some great pictures. I really can't say much about the show, so I've invited him to write a guest blog / review about it. Look for that in the next day or two. Until then, here's another concert pic...


That's all for now!
- DJ Gringito

No comments:

Post a Comment