Sunday, November 1, 2009

Ándale, Enrique!


As the son of Spanish music royalty, Enrique has earned enough success to rightfully usurp the throne. Before he moved stateside, Enrique dominated the Spanish language scene. A few Latin Grammy Awards and a couple world tours grabbed the attention of music labels in the U.S. Enrique is not just a pop star, he's an international superstar!

When he invaded the English market, there was a surplus of Latin crossover artists like Marc Anthony, Shakira and Gloria Estefan. With all the competition, Enrique quickly distanced himself from the rest. Everyone and their mother rocked sus cuerpos to "Bailamos." Like most pop hits, kids grew tired of the song much quicker than their hip madres.

In case you haven't caught on, I'm the guy who defends Enrique Iglesias at parties. I'm not much of a fan anymore, but the guy served as a bridge into the vast world of Spanish music. That might not be the reason why I learned to play "Hero" on the guitar, but then again, I really don't have a good explanation for that.

His next two hits solidified his spot in my -- and the rest of America's -- heart. "Escape" and "Don't Turn Off the Lights" made me want to learn Spanish. No, not because the corny lyrics made me swoon. I was more interested in landing a babe like Anna Kournikova. The guy is badass, regardless of how fun and sappy his music might be.

No comments:

Post a Comment